The Center for Growth Enterprises serves to advance the understanding of growth companies and to create a world-class program focused on the strategic, finance, and management issues associated with growth enterprises and the factors that drive wealth-creating organizations and economic expansion. The Center sponsors two speaker series, “Money Talks” and “Conversations on the Lawn," as well as the School’s annual symposia and fall forums. Jeffrey C. Walker (McIntire ‘77) has supported the Center’s commitment to build intellectual capital through the establishment of the Walker Professorship in Growth Enterprises. George Overstreet is the current Walker Professor. The Center for Growth Enterprises was endowed by Crestar Bank and F. Evans Farwell (McIntire ‘29) of Milliken & Farwell. It also receives funds for faculty research in real estate from the King Endowment and funds to support case development from the Dinos Endowment.
One of the major initiatives under development within the Center for Growth Enterprises is The Real Estate Institute at the University of Virginia. The Institute will be the driving force behind a planned comprehensive real estate program that will include:
- A dynamic curriculum that emphasizes active learning in both graduate coursework and a focused, interdisciplinary minor for undergraduate students
- World-class research and case development that will create intellectual capital on important issues in the real estate industry
- A forum for professional involvement and interaction with students and scholars
- The Distinguished Professorship in Real Estate to provide program leadership; James W. Todd (McIntire ’60, Darden ’64) committed the first $1 million in funding for this professorship
- The Real Estate Institute Advisory Council to realize consistent alumni input and involvement
Current Interest Areas
- Closely held firms
- Venture capital/private equity
- Mature industries
- Real estate/asset-intensive firms
- Non-financial performance measures
George A. Overstreet Jr.
Walker Professor in Growth Enterprises
Director, Center for Growth Enterprises