The University of Virginia's McIntire School of Commerce established the Center for the Management of Information Technology (CMIT) in 1991 to provide opportunities for business and higher education to work together in the area of information technology.
The mission of the Center is to promote research and education in areas relating to the management of information technology through a program of interdisciplinary cooperation.
- To research the development, implementation, and utilization of information systems and technology in organizations.
- To promote interaction between practitioners and the academic community.
- To facilitate the continuing education and development of faculty.
- To provide training, development, and continuing education for practitioners engaged in the management of IT.
- To create an effective link between the business community and the resources of the University of Virginia, including practitioner access to students, faculty, special programs, and research publications