The McIntire School and the University of Virginia attract hundreds of employers from all industries interested in recruiting undergraduate and graduate students. Many employers seek talent across all UVA schools; others specifically target Commerce students. Students seeking opportunities through on-Grounds recruiting should take full advantage of the UVA Career Center's Handshake recruiting system.
In addition to Handshake, McIntire students have many other options for connecting with companies on Grounds, including:
- Career fairs (e.g., Commerce Career Services' Commerce Career Day and University Career Center's Fall Job and Internship Fair)
• Preparing for a Career Fair
- Commerce Career Services' Employer-in-Residence Program (connects companies and students via mock interviews, resume reviews, and coffee networking events)
- Company information sessions, networking events, and other employer-sponsored activities. (Check the McIntire calendar and Handshake).
Excellent job and internship opportunities can also be found using off-Grounds searches. Students are strongly encouraged to employ both off- and on-Grounds searches to maximize their chances of finding a right-fit position. Begin your search by researching industries, companies, and functions of interest, and network with alumni and other contacts to expand your knowledge and perhaps strengthen your candidacy for positions of interest. Also take a thoughtful look at your interests, skills and work values when considering fit. Consider these career assessments to help you reflect on these areas. Workshops, panel discussions, and information sessions facilitated by CCS, faculty, employers, and student organizations throughout the academic year provide ample opportunities to learn about a vast array of industries, career paths, and companies. CCS advisers are available to assist students with their on- and off-Grounds job searches. CCS' web-based resources are a good starting point.
- Career Assessments
- CCS Career Search and Resource websites (a list of industry and search sites)
- CCS Library (find numerous books that you can check out and informational handouts)
- Nonprofit Service Careers
- Links to Management/Leadership/Rotational programs with various employers
- LinkedIn and Twitter
- Study Abroad and the Internship Search (for those doing a study-abroad program; link has useful insights into managing your search with your program experience)
- Employers by Major