A job interview allows the employer and interviewee to determine whether a fit exists. Interviewees must understand they are interviewing the employer as much as the employer is interviewing them. Most important, interviewees must be prepared and practice their interviewing skills. Interviewees should be able to:
- Elaborate on why they want the job or internship
- Explain why they are a good fit
- Use concrete examples and past behaviors to illustrate their answers
- Explain why they want to work for that particular employer
- Explain why that industry fits with their career goals
Different types of interviews you may need to prepare for include:
The interview process varies by industry. Visit the CCS Portal to view industry-specific interview guides.
When visiting an employer, it is essential that you make a good impression and are prepared. Before going on a company visit, be sure to read:
Practice your interview skills:
- Practice Interviewing with InterviewStream. This website is a virtual program that allows you to practice recording yourself answering interview questions that you can send to yourself or others for review. This service is free for UVA students, but you will need to create an account.
- Make an appointment or mock interview with a career adviser by stopping in or calling the CCS front desk.
- Participate in the Employer-in-Residence Program by conducting a mock interview with an employer representative.
- Practice in front of a mirror or with a friend. Practice and be prepared!
For additional interviewing tips, visit the following links: