Carrie Heilman has been named as one of 2018's top 50 undergraduate business professors by Poets&Quants For Undergrads.
Named 2019 Young Scholars by the Marketing Science Institute (MSI), Derick Davis and Irina Kozlenkova are two of a select group of the best young marketing academics.
Bob Webb gave keynote speeches at finance conferences in Auckland, New Zealand, and Denver in August in Busan, Korea, in September and in Shanghai in October. He also gave presentations to finance faculty at Nanjing University in Nanjing, China, in June and at the University of Western Australia, in Perth, Australia, in August:
- “What Drives Success in Derivatives Markets,” International Conference on Futures and Other Derivative Markets, Fudan University, Shanghai, China, October 2018. Keynote address.
- “Global Financial Centers: Lessons from the Past,” Fifth Busan Global Finance Forum, Busan, Korea, September 2018. Keynote address.
- “What Drives Success in Derivatives Markets,” International Commodities Symposium, JPMorgan Center for Commodities, University of Colorado Denver, Denver, Colorado, August 2018. Keynote address.
- “Trading and Privately Generated Information,” Auckland Derivatives Markets Conference, Auckland, New Zealand, August 2018. Keynote address.
- “Nascent Trends in Derivative Markets Research,” University of Western Australia Business School, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia, August 2018.
- “The Market Test,” Myron Scholes Financial Forum, School of Management and Engineering, Nanjing University, Nanjing, China, June 2018.
Education website Course Hero spotlighted how students in Jeffrey Boichuk's "Customer Analytics" course are using data analytics to inform business decisions and contributing to the success of a growing startup in its "Best Lesson" series Sept. 29, 2018.
Natasha Zhang Foutz received the 2018 Mallen Award for “lifetime published scholarly contributions to motion picture industry studies.”
Kieran O’Connor and Amar Cheema discuss the reliability of ratings and how well they hold up over time in an Oct. 3, 2018, Harvard Business Review article titled “Research: Why Ratings on Everything from Wine to Amazon Products Improve Over Time.”
A paper by William Wilhelm and Carola Schenone (with Alan D. Morrison and Aaron Thegeya), titled "Investment-Banking Relationships: 1933–2007," was published in the September 2018 issue of The Review of Corporate Finance Studies.
Carl Zeithaml was featured in a Sept. 25, 2018, Bloomberg article titled “Chris Shumway Gives UVA $25 Million to Train Bioscientists in Business.”
A paper co-authored by Steven Johnson, titled "Who Contributes Knowledge? Embeddedness and Marginality in Online Communities" (with Hani Safadi and Samer Faraj), was selected as the Best Conference Paper for the Organizational Communication and Information Systems (OCIS) Division of the Academy of Management in August 2018. In July, another publication co-authored by Johnson with Sri Kudaravalli and Samer Faraj, "A Configural Approach to Coordinating Expertise in Software Development Teams," received the Academic Award for Management Research, Best Research Publication, 2018 edition, Theme: Re-Inventing Management, from Consult'in France – Syntec Stratégie & Management.
In an Aug. 1, 2018, Harvard Business Review article titled "Make “Fairness by Design” Part of Machine Learning," Ahmed Abbasi and Jingjing Li and their colleagues offer five actionable recommendations that companies and data scientists can follow to help mitigate bias in machine learning.