The Galant Challenge
Have a compelling seed- or early-stage-venture? Seeking investors to take it to the next level?
The Galant Challenge connects ventures from the UVA community with potential investors. This exciting event has successfully funded ventures with more than $2 million in capital, in just the past few years alone.
2019 Galant Challenge
The 2019 Galant Challenge will take place April 25, 2019, from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., at the McIntire School of Commerce, Rouss & Robertson Halls, Room 120, on the Grounds of the University of Virginia. If selected, you must be able to be in Charlottesville April 25 to participate.
How to Apply
The Challenge is open to ventures founded by any current UVA student, UVA graduate, or individual currently affiliated with UVA. The deadline for submissions is 11:59 p.m., April 2, 2019, EST.Submit Entry
How It Works
- Each entry should include a descriptive 10-slide PowerPoint presentation (a proven format is Guy Kawasaki’s 10-20-30 approach) and a one-minute “elevator pitch” video clip (cellphone footage works well).
- Submissions should include information about the team, the opportunity, the market, the product/service and what is compelling about it, the progress to date, the next steps, and “the ask” (i.e., the capital that the venture is hoping to raise at this point in time, and what would be done with that capital). Garage Technology Venture’s Resources for Entrepreneurs can be a helpful source for additional insights about how to get started.
- Submissions must be made by 11:59 p.m., April 2, 2019, EST. Submit entry here.
Advance in the Challenge
- If our advisory team decides your venture is a fit for investor consideration, you will be selected to present on stage to the panel of judges and investors at the April 25 event. Finalists will be notified by Friday, April 12, 2019.
- Chosen ventures will meet with the judges/investors before the event at a mutually convenient time to explain their concepts—without the 10-minute constraints of the on-stage event.
- At the event, each venture will give a 10-minute pitch presentation, followed immediately by a Q&A session with the judges/investors.
- As with similar events (e.g., the television show “Shark Tank”), any interest voiced during the event will be followed by and conditioned upon due diligence, and more detailed discussions between the ventures and the investors.
- If selected to advance in the challenge, you must be able to be in Charlottesville April 25 to participate.
2019 Galant Challenge Showcase Judges and Investors
*A complete list of judges and investors is to come.