Application Information for Fall 2015 (New Information)
If you are a current UVA student planning to apply to the McIntire School for fall 2015, please be aware that there are several changes to the application process:
- All applicants must register during Nov. 15-Nov. 30, 2014, so that our system can access your SIS records. Register to apply for fall 2015.
- The application period begins Monday, Dec. 15, 2014. All those who registered can begin to work on their application online from Dec. 15 until Jan. 26, 2015.
- Applicants must submit their applications by Monday, Jan. 26, 2015, at 11:59 p.m. to be considered for admission to McIntire for fall 2015.
- Application decisions will be sent out via e-mail mid-March.
Undergraduate Admissions Committee Review Process
The McIntire Undergraduate Admissions Committee is composed of four faculty members. Each faculty member separately reviews and makes independent decisions on each applicant. After the independent reviews, the group meets to reach consensus on each applicant.
Important academic factors considered by Admissions include cumulative grade point average, academic performance in prerequisites and those courses related to business (accounting, economics, mathematics), and degree of difficulty of courses taken to date as a demonstration of the student’s general ability and desire. Also, skills and personal characteristics such as leadership, communication, work experience, and time management are considered, as demonstrated through extracurricular activities and application essays.
Some of the evaluative criteria used in the review process are listed below.
- Load per semester
- Difficulty of courses
- Trend in performance
- Grades in prerequisites (accounting, economics, math)
Collegiate Extracurricular Activities
- Activities and leadership within organizations
- Work experiences
McIntire Admissions Statistics
|Current UVA Students||2014||2013||2012||2011||2010|
|Offer Rate (offers from applications)||57%||63%||61%||67%||68%|
|Yield (incoming students from offers)||98%||99%||97%||98%||95%|
Additionally, the committee calculates a mini GPA, used to evaluate the applicant's performance in classes most closely related to business; the mini GPA includes COMM 1800, 2010, and 2020; ECON 2010 and 2020; math; statistics; or UVA equivalents of any of these courses.
It is important to remember, however, that GPA is not the determining factor for acceptance into McIntire. All applications to the Comm School are given serious consideration. GPAs are only one of many important factors that the Admissions Committee reviews. Leadership, communications skills, work experience, co-curricular activities, and the desire for a successful business career also play important roles.
Contact the McIntire Undergraduate Student Services Office with any questions you may have.