According to a recent McKinsey report, the United States alone faces a shortage of 140,000—190,000 workers trained in analytics—not to mention some 1.5 million managers with the business know-how necessary to analyze and then act upon data-related insights.
By partnering with some of the world’s leading corporations, the Center for Business Analytics ensures that McIntire students and faculty remain current with businesses’ analytics-related needs, challenges, and opportunities.
The Center serves as the organizational hub for six primary analytics-related initiatives:
- Organizing high-level, high-relevance workshops and colloquia, including an annual symposium
- Supporting a student-run analytics club for the numerous students interested in enriching their knowledge of analytics through extension activities such as case competitions
- Securing student-enrichment opportunities, such as access to industry workshops and conferences, and establishing an independent study-style scholars program for the keenest analytics students
- Engaging in industry-oriented predictive analytics research
- Continuing to engage in community outreach by working on projects for local small businesses and nonprofits
- Continuing to enhance and expand McIntire’s offerings in business analytics coursework, both through its undergraduate-level Business Analytics Track and through similar coursework for M.S. in Commerce students